NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Big data specialist Splunk (SPLK) cruised past Wall Street's expectations for its second-quarter results on Thursday and raised its full-year revenue guidance, much to the delight of investors.
The San Francisco-based company brought in revenue of $44.5 million, a 71% hike from the same period last year and comfortably above the average analysts' forecast of $39.8 million. Excluding items, Splunk registered a loss of a penny a share, better than the consensus estimate for a 4-cent per share loss.
"The momentum that we realized in our first quarter of fiscal 2013 has continued into our second quarter," said Splunk CEO Godfrey Sullivan. "We added nearly 400 new customers and are equally excited about the expanded use of Splunk in our customer base."
Splunk, which went public earlier this year, also offered robust guidance, projecting third-quarter revenue between $45 million and $47 million. Analysts surveyed by Thomson Reuters are currently looking for revenue of $44.66 million.The company also hiked its full-year revenue guidance to between $183 million and $186 million, compared to a prior range of $174 million to $177 million. Splunk now expects its non-GAAP operating margin to be between negative 2% and negative 3% compared to its prior estimate of negative 4% to negative 5%. Wall Street expects full-year revenue of $178.28 million. The numbers clearly resonated with investors, who pushed Splunk's shares up 13.1% to $34.50 in extended trading. --Written by James Rogers in New York. Follow @jamesjrogers >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Check out our new tech blog, Tech Trends. Follow TheStreet Tech on your wireless devices
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV