The problem is that their day came and went a long time ago.
Again the trick is to own stocks in their prime.
What are some of the Best Stocks Now?
Let's consider TJX (TJX), whose stores include retailer TJ Maxx. I have owned it for a long time.This company is now a $35 billion company. It passed Sears a long time ago in size. Consider that Sears now also includes K-Mart. Attention Sears Holding shoppers! Here is the performance of TJX over the short term, intermediate term and long term. When I compare TJX with the 2,935 stocks in my database, it gets a performance grade of "A." Bravo! Compare the performance of TJX with Sears Holding: Yecch! I am one of those hybrid investors who like to combine performance with value. Pure value investing leads to way too many value traps. Pure performance investing ignores value. So then, what does the valuation of TJX look like right now? OK, TJX is not the cheapest stock right now, but filet mignon is not cheap either. I paid $17 a pound for a nice 8 oz. model from my supermarket the other day. Ground chuck was a lot cheaper. When I take the performance and the valuation of TJX together and compare against all of the other stocks in my database, it comes in at #120 and earns an overall grade of A-. At any given time, I like to select from the top 200 stocks in the market. My final roster only has room for 25 players. That is why I own TJX in the Conservative Growth portfolios that I manage. I doubt Sears Holdings will crack my top 200 any time soon. At the time of publication the author had a position in TJX but in none of the other stocks mentioned. This article was written by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV