It's probably safe to assume the proprietors of these establishments did not conceive them as fine eateries. In fact, in all three cases, food likely took a backseat in the business plan.
In it's most recent annual report (via the SEC), CEC states "the dining and entertainment components of [its] business are interdependent." Give me a break. The food stinks. And there's no way any adult would consume it given an alternative. It just happens to be there to scarf down in between video games, diaper changes and scoldings.
The same goes for Dave & Busters as well as Hooters. You do not go there for the food. These companies know this. You go there to provide your children a wholly artificial experience, drink beer or flirt with women who have large breasts.It might sound like I'm knocking this approach. I'm not. I can participate in these in-store adventures with the best of them and eat loads of terrible food while I'm at it. In fact, I think run-of-the-mill retailers ought to mimic the approach. Radio Shack (RSH), Best Buy (BBY), even WalMart (WMT) and Target (TGT) -- soulless brick and mortar retailers need to stop dipping into the same dead and tired retail toolkits and do something different. Maybe even crazy. Don't let Walmart and Target's relative outperformance fool you. They're as vulnerable as anybody else in the broad space. Here's why.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV