Make no mistake, I am bullish on FB. I disclosed a long position in the stock in the aforementioned article. And I have a record of defending the company post-IPO. I added to my position alongside Netflix (NFLX) CEO Reed Hastings. I have no intention of selling.
Thinking long-term, like the newspaper, Twitter will become an institution that spans generations. Facebook will die when too few people use, engage and care about it. Put another way, Twitter will stand the test of time. Facebook, ultimately, will not.
Which company would I rather be invested in 20 years from now?
Investing in Bruce Springsteen in the early 1970s would have been akin to initiating a long position in McDonald's (MCD) around the same time. Jon Landau saw the future of rock-n-roll in 1974 (it's name was Bruce Springsteen); the MCD long guessed right on the ubiquitous nature and staying power of fast food.I expect Facebook, along with Twitter, Pandora (P) and a handful of others, to dominate the mobile-advertising landscape this decade. They're all worthy of a long play for the foreseeable future. That said, Facebook is not the future of social media. It, along with LinkedIn (LNKD), pioneered the craft, but, thanks largely to its utilitarian nature, entertainment value and clean platform, Twitter will outlive and dictate the trajectory of the space. Follow @RoccoPendola At the time of publication, the author was long FB and P. This article is commentary by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV