I Am New To The U.S. (from Canada Where I Have Excellent Credit) And Trying To Build My Credit. I Got Rejected Applying For A Normal Card And I'm Looking To Get A Card That I Am Sure I Will Get Accepted. What Do You Recommend?
With a so-called "thin" credit file, you won't get much traction on your quest for personal credit. Even if you have accounts with Canadian companies that maintain a presence in the United States, those firms' American divisions act independently of their home offices.
However, Capital One now markets a Cash Rewards for Newcomers MasterCard. The card carries a high APR, but no annual fee. Therefore, you'll get the most value by using it to cover everyday purchases and travel expenses that you plan to pay off at the end of each statement cycle. As the youngest of the country's biggest credit card issuers, Capital One prides itself on maintaining its own consumer database and underwriting new accounts based on information beyond what's in your credit report.
Unlike a typical instant approval credit card offer, Capital One will take some extra time to verify your employment and residency status. According to company officials, if you've got a job with a reputable company and you've been renting a home, you're very likely to get accepted. With no foreign transaction fee, you'll be able to use this card when you visit friends and family back north. After a few years with this MasterCard, you'll qualify other Capital One credit cards. By that time, you'll probably get plenty of low introductory rate credit card offers in the mail.
Additionally, Bank of America and Wells Fargo both offer secured credit cards for less than $40 a year. Like the Newcomers card, they'll carry interest rates much higher than you might be used to. By placing a few hundred dollars on deposit, you'll get a positive trade line on your credit report that you can use to get an unsecured credit card in about a year.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV