Christopher & Banks Corporation (NYSE: CBK), a specialty women’s apparel retailer, today reported results for the thirteen-week and twenty-six-week periods ended July 28, 2012. As previously announced, the Company changed its fiscal year-end to the Saturday nearest to the end of January, from the Saturday nearest to the end of February, to better align the Company’s financial reporting periods with its operational cycle and with other specialty retail companies. In this release, financial results for the second fiscal quarter are compared to the thirteen-week period ended July 30, 2011.
Results for the Thirteen-Week Period Ended July 28, 2012
- Net sales totaled $103.4 million, as compared to $105.6 million in the comparable period last year. During the quarter the Company operated an average of 113, or 15%, fewer stores than during the comparable period last year.
- Same store sales increased 5.5% in the second quarter of fiscal 2012, as compared to the comparable period last year.
- Operating loss totaled $2.2 million and included a $4.7 million pre-tax, non-cash benefit related to restructuring charges. This compares to an operating loss of $6.3 million for the thirteen weeks ended July 30, 2011.
- Net loss for the quarter totaled $2.2 million, or $0.06 per share, including the $4.5 million after-tax, or $0.13 per share, non-cash benefit related to restructuring charges. Net loss for the thirteen weeks ended July 30, 2011 totaled $6.2 million, or $0.18 per share.
Joel Waller, President and Chief Executive Officer, commented, “Our second quarter performance reflects marked improvement in our business, demonstrating that our strategic initiatives are taking hold. Our comparable store sales, merchandise margin rate and inventory levels all showed significant improvement compared to the prior quarter and exceeded our expectations. We drove positive comparable store sales through the execution of our merchandising and marketing strategies, which also resulted in sequential improvement in our merchandise margins. We have substantially completed our real estate restructuring program and signed a new credit agreement that enhances our financial flexibility. Overall, the second quarter was a pivotal period for Christopher & Banks and we look forward to building continued momentum in the second half of fiscal 2012 and beyond.”
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV