A.M. Best Co. has assigned a debt rating of “bb” to the newly issued $150 million 8.25% non-cumulative perpetual preferred stock of Maiden Holdings, Ltd. (Maiden Holdings) (Hamilton, Bermuda) [NASDAQ: MHLD]. The outlook assigned to the rating is stable. All remaining ratings of Maiden Holdings and its subsidiaries are unchanged. (Please see A.M. Best’s press release dated May 30, 2012.)
The proceeds from the issuance will be used in continued support and development of Maiden Holdings’ reinsurance business and for other general corporate purposes. With the issuance of the preferred shares, Maiden Holdings’ adjusted debt-to-tangible capital is approximately 27%, which is within A.M. Best’s guidelines for its current rating level. In addition, Maiden Holdings’ interest coverage ratio is expected to remain adequate for its rating.
The methodology used in determining these ratings is Best’s Credit Rating Methodology , which provides a comprehensive explanation of A.M. Best’s rating process and contains the different rating criteria employed in the rating process. Key criteria utilized include: “Insurance Holding Company and Debt Ratings” and “Equity Credit for Hybrid Securities.” Best’s Credit Rating Methodology can be found at www.ambest.com/ratings/methodology.
Founded in 1899, A.M. Best Company is the world’s oldest and most authoritative insurance rating and information source. For more information, visit www.ambest.com.Copyright © 2012 by A.M. Best Company, Inc. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV