Apple reportedly wanted to invest $1 billion into Taiwan Semiconductor (TSM), giving Apple exclusivity to the chip manufacturer and the smartphone chips it produces. Apple, as well as Qualcomm (QCOM) both made similar offers, and both were rebuffed, the report said.
Apple shares were off 35 cents at $674.45 in recent trades.
Yelp (YELP) shares screamed higher, despite the expiration of the lock-up period related to the company's initial public offering.Today is the first day that the company's largest shareholders and insiders could sell stock following the March IPO, but a wave of selling related to the release of more than 50 million shares from lock-up has failed to materialize. Growth at the San Francisco-based online review site operator has been strong, with the company reporting a 67% rise year-over-year in revenue to $32.7 million in its second quarter. Yelp's stock was up nearly 18% at $21.62 on volume of 6.8 million, nearly 10 times its daily average.
Lexmark International (LXK) shares fell on heavier-than-normal volume one day after the company announced it plans to divest its inkjet business. Lexmark said it will stop making and selling inkjet printers, and focus on its imaging and software businesses. As a result of the decision, Lexmark intends to sell its 1,000 patents related to inkjet printing and lay off 1,700 workers. Shares of Lexmark fell 1.03% to $21.10, one day after rising more than 13% on the news.
At mid-day, tech stocks were largely flat, with the Nasdaq up less than 0.1%, as all eyes are focused on Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke, who is set to speak later in the week at Jackson Hole, Wyo. Interested in more on Yelp? See TheStreet Ratings' report card for this stock. --Written by Chris Ciaccia in New York >Contact by Email. Follow @Commodity_Bull
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV