In the most literal sense of the phrase, Airgas (ARG) pulls profits out of thin air. The firm is the country's largest industrial gas supplier, providing customers like industrial manufacturers and hospitals with gases such as oxygen, nitrous oxide, and acetylene, in addition to complementary hard goods such as welders and eye protection.
Airgas enjoys a lucrative business with relatively low costs. Gasses are high margin consumables that are recurring in nature -- customers need to keep coming back to Airgas if they want to keep their operations running smoothly. And some of the firm's biggest returns come from renting out gas cylinders, equipment that customers rarely want to own and maintain themselves.The gas supply business is fragmented, with a couple national names and many small operations. That means that large clients who want to simplify suppliers are much more apt to turn to a national operator like Airgas. And since gas is relatively low cost (compared to customers' other overhead items), the firm also has considerable pricing power. While a growth-by-acquisition strategy means that Airgas' balance sheet is no stranger to debt, the firm is more than capable of hiking its 40-cent dividend in the next quarter.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV