Manufacturing firm Parker-Hannifin (PH) is in the motion and control business. The company builds everything from fluid control systems to air conditioner parts to flight controls. By focusing its business around building subsystems, making the aircraft wheel rather than the whole aircraft or valves and fittings rather than the whole air conditioner, Parker enjoys a bigger moat with less competition.
PH bounced back from the recession relatively fast, in large part because its boring business provided a solid moat with that wasn't overly exposed to any single industry. Like many manufacturers, PH took the recession as an opportunity to cut costs and boost net margins, efforts that show up each quarter on Parker's income statement -- and increasing the earnings that get passed on to shareholders in the form of dividends.>>5 Rocket Stocks to Buy Into September For a manufacturing firm, Parker employs relatively little leverage on its balance sheet. The firm's debt currently sits at well under two times cash, an indication that PH could materially cut its obligations or smooth dividend payouts with retained earnings if the economy hit a rough patch. Currently, PH pays a 41 cent quarterly dividend per share, a 2% yield at current price levels. I'm expecting that dividend payout to get bigger in the coming quarter.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV