WOBURN, Mass. ( TheStreet) -- Arqule (ARQL) disclosed Wednesday that patient enrollment has been suspended temporarily in a late-stage study of its lung cancer drug tivantinib being conducted in Asia due to suspected cases of a serious lung disease.
Shares of Arqule were down $1.72, or 25%, to $4.99 in early trading.
Kyowa Hakko Kirin, Arqule's Japanese partner, stopped enrolling patients in the phase III "ATTENTION" study due to reports of suspected cases of interstitial lung disease (ILD) that appear to be more prevalent in patients treated with tivantinib. An independent safety monitor recommended that patient enrollment be halted temporarily while additional information about the reported cases of ILD are gathered, Arqule disclosed in an 8-K regulatory filing.
The ATTENTION study is being conducted in three Asian countries to determine whether the combination of tivantinib plus Tarceva can prolong survival compared to Tarceva alone in patients with non-small cell lung cancer. Tarceva is a currently approved treatment for lung cancer marketed by Roche and Astellas.ILD is a group of diseases characterized by progressive scarring of the lungs, which over time can impair a person's ability to breathe. Safety concerns about ILD have not affected a separate phase III lung cancer study of tivantinib dubbed "MARQUEE" which completed enrollment in May and enrolled 1,000 patients in the U.S. and Europe. "Incidence of ILD-related events in MARQUEE is comparable to reported experience in the West and published literature for
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Adam Feuerstein.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV