Finding Dividend Stocks That Still Look Like Bargains
Huber prefers stable companies that can steadily increase their dividends. A favorite holding is Kohl's (KSS), a department store chain that yields 2.4% and has a P/E ratio of 12.3. He also likes United Technologies (UTX), maker of Otis elevators and Pratt and Whitney aircraft engines. The stock yields 2.7%. The company can grow by expanding its overseas sales.
Another steady fund is Rochdale Dividend & Income (RIMHX). During the past five years, the fund has returned 4.2% annually, outdoing 98% of large value funds.
Portfolio Manager David Abella says that blue-chip office and mall REITs have become too expensive. Many of the expensive REITs own trophy properties that tend to attract attention from investors. To find bargains, he has been buying healthcare REITs, which own hospitals and other medical properties.
A favorite holding is Ventas (VTR), which owns nursing homes and assisted-living facilities that provide support for seniors. "It is a steady business that is somewhat immune from the ups and downs of the economy," Abella says.Abella is wary of many pharmaceutical companies because their sales should drop when patents expire in the next several years. But he likes Bristol-Myers Squibb (BMY). The company has relatively good growth prospects and a solid dividend, Abella says. This article is commentary by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV