From sea to shining sea: where there is a lawyer, there is a way.
Round one, of course, of the Apple-Samsung brawl, culminated way, way back a few days ago, with judgment from the media immediate: Apple had won, Samsung had lost -- and Microsoft (MSFT) and Nokia (NOK) also won.
End of story.Until round two. The Wall Street Journal appeared the first to give traders a real sense of how the fight will play out over time with an article titled: "Samsung Will Fight Efforts to Bar Sales of Smartphones: Apple's Pursuit of Court Injunction Will Be Contested by 'All Necessary Measures'." Samsung, while still a loser, will fight back on several fronts. They have a myriad of options, as the Journal makes clear. Samsung will file appeals and motions to stop any injunctions. Moreover, they'll modify products to rid them of their patent infringing features. Make no mistake about it: Samsung lost. But their loss -- and Apple's victory -- may be a little less complete and simplistic than the media, always obsessed with pairing clear-cut winners against losers, first portrayed. This is America, after all. Where there is a lawyer, there is a way. At the time of publication, Fuchs had no positions in any of the stocks mentioned in this column. This article is commentary by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV