I'll no doubt get some arguments on this one. After all, Five Below is in growth mode, and the company says it can grow to more than 2,000 over 20 years, vs. the current 200.
The company opened 50 new stores in 2011, and plans to open a total of this year and 60 in 2013. That's some pretty rapid growth and very ambitious. Those high expectations are reflected in the current stock price.
Here's the analogy: You walk into a store and see a great piece of merchandise. It's just what you want. The only problem is that it's priced much higher than its value. You pass on that item, not because it wasn't exactly what you wanted, but simply because the price was too high.
I believe that the price of Five Below is simply too high at this point. But you must also consider the source. I'm a value investor and like to buy on the cheap.I hope to get that opportunity with Five Below. We'll get our first opportunity to see the company's progress as a publicly traded company when it reports second-quarter results on Monday, Sept. 10. At the time of publication, Heller had no positions in stocks mentioned. This article is commentary by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV