Net sales of underground mining machinery, excluding IMM, rose 2 percent in the third quarter compared to a year ago. Original equipment shipments declined 3 percent and aftermarket shipments were up 7 percent over the prior third quarter. The original equipment sales were driven by lower shipments in Eurasia and China offset with higher shipments in Australia. Aftermarket sales increased in the United States, Australia, China and South Africa.
Net sales of surface mining equipment, excluding LeTourneau, were 22 percent higher than the same period last year. Original equipment sales increased 47 percent as last year’s strong order rate flowed into this year’s sales, with aftermarket sales up 8 percent. Original equipment sales increases were led by strong results in all regions except South Africa. Aftermarket sales were up in all regions except China compared to the prior third quarter.
|Operating Profit - (in millions)|
|July 27||July 29||Return on Sales|
|Underground Mining Machinery||$||164.0||$||156.4||23.9||%||23.4||%|
|Surface Mining Equipment||134.4||107.6||23.8||%||23.2||%|
|Excess Purchase Accounting|
|Total Operating Profit||$||299.5||$||236.0||21.6||%||20.8||%|
Operating profit for the legacy business was $277 million for the third quarter of 2012, compared to $242 million in the third quarter of last year. Return on sales was 22.9 percent in the third quarter, compared to 22.1 percent last year. Incremental profitability for the legacy business was 30 percent on an 11 percent volume increase.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV