By Pete Najarian, co-founder of OptionMonster
NEW YORK -- It was hard to take my eyes off CenterPoint Energy (CNP) on Tuesday.
The public-utility holding company is engaged in the transmission and distribution of electricity, serving approximately 2 million metered customers in Texas. The company beat on earnings and upped its guidance earlier this month. Its key growth drivers include stable regulated operations, higher rates, ongoing infrastructure development projects and a strong balance sheet.
The options started lighting up around the noon hour Tuesday as I left the "Fast Money Half Time" show on CNBC. The November 20 calls traded in a hurry, with more than 5,000 hitting for $1.05 and $1.10 in just four minutes. A few of the February of 2013 calls traded as well.Those options lock in the price investors must pay to buy shares, which gives them nice leverage in the event of a rally. But if CenterPoint doesn't move the calls will lose value over time. If it drops, they could become worthless. CenterPoint rose 0.68% to $20.60 Tuesday, and is bouncing at its 100-day moving average. More than 7,000 calls traded vs. just 50 puts. Total volume was about 14 times normal levels. Najarian has no positions in CNP.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV