What this does is it turns the entire thing on its head. Now you'll notice the difference between these two. Going back this is a storage centric point of view, storage at the foundation. This becomes an application centric point of view, a server centric point of view which Fusion-io holds as the more valid point of view because that's why data centers exists is to run these applications that crunch on data. Storage is there to service the application, not vice versa and flash in the server makes that possible.
So why one might ask if it's more expensive in the storage array and not as high a performance, then what reason does it have to be there? Well the answer is it's a capacity tier. It is an opportunity for disks and disks will be in the storage arrays and be the main part of the storage arrays. But when it comes to all flash systems, what we are going to see is that flash in the server itself where it's software defined, it no longer takes a special appliance, it can be an off-the-shelf server with flash memory devices in it that the software has act as a SAN. This is the product that we just announced ION. The ION Data Accelerator is a software stack that goes onto an off-the-shelf server and teaches it how to act as a SAN.
Now today it's rather feature [Spartan], it doesn't have a lot of the conveniences of a big storage -- proprietary storage system. The reason for that is that we have chosen to accentuate performance over those additional feature sets and only once we can introduce those features while maintaining the performance differentiation of flash, will they be introduced. But as those new features come online, if you're able to do more of the high-end data management services from within the flash tier which can be inside of your array of homogenous servers that is the primary mode for building out cloud architectures.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV