7 Big Lessons From Today's Small Business Successes
4. You're never too young to start a business, either. Bridgeja' Baker, owner of Creative Jewelry by Bridgeja' and winner of SCORE's Outstanding Minority-Owned Small Business was 10 when she fell in love with jewelry making. After taking many classes on how to make the hand-crafted jewelry she sells, she realized that she wanted to continue with the hobby more seriously after she made $1,100 at her first jewelry selling party a year later.
Last year she made $15,000, doubling her 2010 sales. She plans to exceed that amount in 2012.
Baker has set her sights on national growth for the business. She currently has several pieces being sold in local shops but hopes to get a few national department stores to pick up her line.
5. Look to your past to find your future. Terry Weaver, owner of USA Gypsum and winner of SCORE's Outstanding Green Small Business used his family roots in farming when launching his company in 1998. USA Gypsum produces natural gypsum products from discarded drywall trimmings to be sold as soil amendment to be used on lawns, gardens and farms."My commitment to improving the environment goes back to my boyhood days growing up on a family farm where our livelihood depended on caring for the land, air and water," Weaver says. "Drywall recycling grew out of that farm background when we realized that drywall was primarily the mineral gypsum and 20% was wasted during construction," he says. "This was in 1998 before being 'Green' was popular. Our society simply cannot afford to continue landfilling valuable raw materials that can be economically reclaimed." 6. Running a business means stepping out of your comfort zone, but knowing when and where you need help. Terri Paradise and Marcia Connelley, owners of Massage Envy - Middletown (Kentucky) and winners of SCORE's Outstanding Franchise as a Small Business, were familiar enough with processes and managing employees but when they opened their first location of the spa franchise, they were less familiar with other administrative parts of running a business, such as marketing. "We did not do our marketing well and
Follow TheStreet on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV