Astoria CEO Monte Redman said in July that he was "pleased with the positive progression in our asset/liability repositioning," and that "We expect that together, the growth and repositioning of the balance sheet coupled with improved operating efficiency should benefit the net interest margin and improve profitability throughout the remainder of the year."
That being said, Redman added that "with respect to the net interest margin, due to the impact of extending $500 million of borrowings in the 2012 second quarter and the additional short-term cost to carry the 5% Senior Notes until we extinguish our existing 5.75% Senior Notes, we now anticipate the net interest margin for the 2012 full year to be slightly lower than the 2011 fourth quarter margin of 2.20%."
"2012 continues to be the transitional year for us with continued quarterly earnings and balance sheet growth," he said.
Astoria's shares closed at $9.86 Monday, returning 19% year-to-date, following a 36% decline during 2011. The shares trade for 0.9 times tangible book value, according to Thomson Reuters Bank Insight, and for 15 times the consensus 2013 earnings estimate of 65 cents a share, among analysts polled by Thomson Reuters. The consensus 2012 EPS estimate is 52 cents.Guggenheim Securities analyst David Darst said on Aug. 10 that Astoria's shares "will begin to trade closer to
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV