Barrick Gold (ABX) is looking nearly identical right now, with shares bouncing lower in a downtrending channel of their own. The unique thing about Barrick is the fact that it's slipping lower at the same time many other gold miners are bottoming and looking attractive. The lower lows in ABX should be sending investors an important signal here: Sellers are clearly in control of this stock.
As with PTR, Barrick's shares are testing resistance right now. The past few times ABX tested trendline resistance, the outcome was a push back down to ever-lower levels of trendline support. Unless shares break outside of the channel, ABX is likely to do the same thing this time around.
If you want exposure to gold miners right now, other setups (like the Goldcorp (GG) setup I pointed in " 5 Huge Stocks That Could Slingshot Higher") look less ugly.To see this week's trades in action, check out the Technical Setups for the Week portfolio on Stockpickr. -- Written by Jonas Elmerraji in Baltimore.
Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV