First up is AutoZone (AZO), the $14 billion auto parts retailer. AutoZone has had a solid year in 2012, churning out gains of nearly 13% since the start of the year, but now shares are pointing lower.
Here's why this stock is toxic in September.
AutoZone is currently forming a descending triangle pattern, a setup that's formed by downtrending resistance and a horizontal support level below it. Essentially, as shares bounce in between those two price levels, they're getting squeezed closer and closer to a breakdown below that $355 support level. When that happens, traders have a short signal.>>5 Rocket Stocks to Buy Into September In real terms, the best way to think of thatsupport level is that it's a price below which there's a glut of demand for shares; eventually, that demand is going to get absorbed by the increasing selling pressure that's causing the downtrending resistance overhead. When that happens, and AZO can't catch a bid at $355, you don't want to be left holding the bag. Momentum adds some confidence to the downside implications of this pattern: 14-day RSI has been trending lower since late February, when this stock turned over. Since momentum is a leading indicator of price, that's an added signal that AZO is headed lower.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV