- Leave plenty of time for your journey. If you are rushing you are more likely to drive dangerously and cause an accident
- Plan your route. All roads will be busy but if you know where you are going then you are less likely to get lost and stressed
- Once you know your route use a traffic information provider to check that there are no major problems along the way
- Factor in a break if you are on a long journey. Tiredness is a big cause of accidents so leave time to stop off and rest if necessary
- Make sure you have games/DVDs at the ready to keep the kids occupied - bored children are a big distraction
- Keep snacks and drinks in the car. Dehydration and low blood sugar are not good for anyone but behind the wheel they can be dangerous
- Carry out checks on your car before you leave - top up water, oil, tyres and petrol. Other road users will not thank you if you suffer an unnecessary breakdown
- Check your breakdown cover and motor insurance is up to date in case the worst does happen - and have the numbers readily available
- Set your phone to hands free before you set off
- If you can be flexible about when you leave, avoid 1 September!
Keep Off The Roads On September 1st Warns AXA
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts
More than 30 investing pros with skin in the game give you actionable insight and investment ideas.