Imation Released Results Of Research Into State Data Breach Notification Laws And Penalties; Compliance Heat Map Illustrates Similarities And Differences In State Laws, And The Need To Store And Protect Sensitive Information. (Graphic: Business Wire)
Imation Corp. (NYSE: IMN), a global scalable storage and data security company, today released results of research into state data breach notification laws and associated penalties. The analysis shows that current state data breach notification laws are strikingly similar but vary in compliance requirements for businesses, with all laws highlighting the need for companies to deploy methods for closely storing, protecting and controlling sensitive information. Imation used publicly available sites (including information obtained via the National Conference of State Legislatures) to analyze state compliance laws in the 46 U.S. states that have such laws, as well as in Puerto Rico, the District of Columbia and the U.S. Virgin Islands.
Imation created a “Compliance Heat Map” to depict the strictness of data breach laws and resulting penalties for breaches. The Compliance Heat Map provides a visual snapshot of the strictness of regulations by state, using a color scale ranging from light yellow (less strict) to dark red (more strict). To view the compliance heat map, click here: www.imation.com/compliancemap.
“What the compliance heat map tells us is that data security needs to be at top of mind for all IT pros, as there are rules in place for nearly all states and territories and non-compliance could mean serious penalties,” said David Duncan, software & security solutions marketing director, Imation. “Yet, companies also are challenged by explosive data growth and state and federal requirements that mandate active archiving, long-term retention and accessibility of that data. Businesses need resources to help navigate laws and develop secure and scalable infrastructures for data storage and protection.”
IT pros today are responsible for managing data, which includes ensuring security, business continuity and regulatory compliance. For small- to mid-sized businesses, the challenge is often to meet compliance requirements with limited resources, which leads to higher risk. In fact, the 2011 Verizon Data Breach report found that businesses with between 11 and 100 employees reported more than six times as many data breaches than businesses with between 101 and 1,000 employees, according to the online website BusinessNewsDaily. Further, the loss or theft of an unencrypted notebook, flash drive or removable hard disk drive can expose gigabytes, or even terabytes, of private information. IT professionals should implement strategies to protect their data through network security, data encryption and enforcement of information security policies, while staying well-informed of state compliance laws in the not-unlikely event that a data breach does occur.Compliance Heat Map Findings Imation’s research found most state data breach notification laws to offer similar definitions of personally identifiable information and requirements regarding the notification of affected parties. Among the research’s noteworthy findings:
- Four states have yet to enact a data breach notification law: Alabama, Kentucky, New Mexico and South Dakota.
- According to Imation’s analysis, Virginia has the most strict law in the nation. The law provides specific requirements on what is to be included in a breach notification, requires government and credit reporting agency notification, and includes a large financial penalty relative to other states.
- A few states, including Virginia, require notification even if breached data is encrypted—if the encrypted data was stolen along with the encryption keys.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV