NEWTON, Mass., Aug. 28, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- TripAdvisor®, the world's largest travel site*, today announced the results of its annual fall and Labor Day travel survey of more than 1,400 U.S. respondents. Eighty-five percent of travelers plan to take a leisure trip this autumn and 84 percent said rising gas prices will not affect their fall travel plans.
To view the multimedia assets associated with this release, please click: http://www.multivu.com/mnr/49278-tripadvisor-survey-shows-84-percent-undeterred-by-increasing-fuel-costs
- 34 percent plan to spend more on fall travel than they did in 2011, while 42 percent plan to spend about the same amount and 12 percent plan to spend less than they did last year.
- Among those traveling, 61 percent plan to take more than one trip.
- Of those taking fall leisure trips, 72 percent are planning a hotel stay and 18 percent will rent a vacation home.
- 13 percent are taking international trips, 23 percent will travel both internationally and domestically, and 64 percent will take only domestic trips.
- 70 percent of travelers plan to travel by car for their autumn getaways.
- Among the 16 percent modifying travel plans due to higher prices at the pump, 51 percent are driving shorter distances and 46 percent are driving less often.
- With rising gas prices in mind, 27 percent are willing to drive 100-200 miles, 21 percent will go 200-300 miles, and 16 percent plan to drive over 500 miles.
- View colorful fall foliage – 39%
- Go wine tasting / visit a vineyard – 26%
- Go to a state / county fair or fall festival – 22%
- Attend a football game / collegiate homecoming – 20%
- Go to a food festival – 20%
- 27 percent are planning to travel this Labor Day weekend, up from 22 percent who traveled for the holiday last year.
- Among those traveling, 64 percent anticipate driving, and 31 percent will take to the skies.
- Of those traveling for Labor Day, 21 percent are planning an outdoor trip, 21 percent will take a beach trip, and 17 percent will go on a city escape.
- 22 percent cite fewer crowds than in the summer as their top reason for fall travel, while 20 percent say they travel in the fall for the weather.
- 42 percent of fall leisure travelers will enjoy a city trip, 31 percent will take a cultural trip, and another 31 percent will head to the beach.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV