Search Jim Cramer's "Mad Money" trading recommendations using our exclusive "Mad Money" Stock Screener.
That's why he dedicated his entire show to go over the frequent errors that investors make when buying and selling stocks.Cramer said that knowing when to buy and when to sell is one of the most important, and most frustrating, parts of managing your own money. That is likely the reason why there is an entire cottage industry of financial advisers who tell investors that it simply cannot be done, that they should just put their money into index funds and leave it there forever. But Cramer said that while index funds have their place, telling investors that they're the only way to make money is totally bogus. Timing makes all the difference, Cramer explained. He said there was a big difference between buying stocks at the market peak in October 2007 and buying them at the generational bottom in March of 2009. There was a difference between buying stocks before the European financial crisis began to rule the world's markets, and after. Cramer explained that one reason timing the markets is so hard is some of the best moments to buy are during the moments of greatest terror. It's almost never the right time to sell when the markets are panicking. History has proven that whether it was the crash of 1987, the flash crash of 2010 or the attacks on 9/11, what worked best was to be prudent and not to panic. Perhaps the only exception, noted Cramer, was the financial crisis of 2008. Cramer said he was widely criticized for telling investors to sell their stocks in October 2008, but with the entire financial world as we knew it on the brink of collapse the call to sell proved to be the right one. Investors were able to side-step the additional 35% decline in the averages.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV