REDWOOD CITY, Calif., Aug. 27, 2012 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Traveling everywhere with our laptops has become a way of life, which also makes laptops a target for theft. Did you know that one out of every ten laptops gets stolen, that means a laptop is stolen every 53 seconds! Scary statistics, and a good time to revisit some simple steps you can take to make your laptop more secure when traveling. The Personal Technology Experts at Support.com (Nasdaq:SPRT), a provider of technology services and software for consumers and small businesses recommend the following:
1. Avoid Laptop Bags: Almost 12,000 laptops are lost or stolen in U.S. airports each week. To make your laptop less of a target, skip a typical laptop bag and instead try carrying your laptop in a padded briefcase, suitcase or backpack.
2. Free Wi-Fi Means More Risk: Many public wireless networks are relatively unsecure, and all users should be extra careful before connecting their laptop to a free network. If you must connect to a free network, here are 6 steps to connect to a wireless network safely. Instead of accessing a free network, you may be able to use an Internet USB dongle, or some providers like T-Mobile offer mobile hotspot services that let you access the Internet on your laptop with your mobile device. 3. Security/Anti-Theft Program: Install a security program that allows you to track/recover your laptop if lost or stolen. A well-known program is LoJack for Laptops.4. Backup Data Before You Travel: Back up your data before you travel, it will be there if your laptop gets stolen! For those who travel a lot, consider an online data backup service that offers 24/7 access to all your files. 5. Encryption for Added Protection: Encrypting data on your laptop ensures that it can be accessed or read only by you – a good idea if it falls into the wrong hands! Finally, never leave your laptop unattended in hotel rooms or rental cars!
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts