REDWOOD CITY, Calif., Aug. 27, 2012 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Traveling everywhere with our laptops has become a way of life, which also makes laptops a target for theft. Did you know that one out of every ten laptops gets stolen, that means a laptop is stolen every 53 seconds! Scary statistics, and a good time to revisit some simple steps you can take to make your laptop more secure when traveling. The Personal Technology Experts at Support.com (Nasdaq:SPRT), a provider of technology services and software for consumers and small businesses recommend the following:
1. Avoid Laptop Bags: Almost 12,000 laptops are lost or stolen in U.S. airports each week. To make your laptop less of a target, skip a typical laptop bag and instead try carrying your laptop in a padded briefcase, suitcase or backpack.
2. Free Wi-Fi Means More Risk: Many public wireless networks are relatively unsecure, and all users should be extra careful before connecting their laptop to a free network. If you must connect to a free network, here are 6 steps to connect to a wireless network safely. Instead of accessing a free network, you may be able to use an Internet USB dongle, or some providers like T-Mobile offer mobile hotspot services that let you access the Internet on your laptop with your mobile device. 3. Security/Anti-Theft Program: Install a security program that allows you to track/recover your laptop if lost or stolen. A well-known program is LoJack for Laptops.4. Backup Data Before You Travel: Back up your data before you travel, it will be there if your laptop gets stolen! For those who travel a lot, consider an online data backup service that offers 24/7 access to all your files. 5. Encryption for Added Protection: Encrypting data on your laptop ensures that it can be accessed or read only by you – a good idea if it falls into the wrong hands! Finally, never leave your laptop unattended in hotel rooms or rental cars!
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV