DOVER, Del. (AP) â¿¿ The Delaware Supreme Court is upholding a $2 billion judgment in a shareholder lawsuit stemming from Southern Copper Corp.'s 2005 acquisition of a mining company from Grupo Mexico, its controlling stockholder.
The justices on Monday upheld a chancery court ruling that Grupo Mexico and directors of Southern Copper, then known as Southern Peru, caused Southern to pay an excessively high price for Grupo Mexico's 99 percent interest in Minera Mexico.
The chancery judge's damage award represented the $1.3 billion difference between what Southern paid for Minera and what the court determined Minera was worth, plus interest. The plaintiffs' attorneys were granted $304 million of the amount.The defendants said the judge abused his discretion and acted arbitrarily in determining a price for the deal and awarding damages and attorney costs.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV