Before Worley takes the stage, the GM Foundation will present Operation Homefront with a $25,000 grant to help it provide emergency financial and other assistance to Michigan families of service members and wounded warriors.
All week, active, reserve and retired military members and spouses can learn more about GM's military discounts and enter the Seize the Keys Camaro Sweepstakes. They and members of the public can be photographed with specially painted military vehicles and test-drive a new vehicle.
Free public tours of four Navy and U.S. Coast Guard ships at the Renaissance Center, Port Authority and Nicholson Terminal include:
- US Brig Niagara: A Tall Ship replica of the original that played a decisive role in the Battle of Lake Erie (Renaissance Center)
- USS Hurricane: The third Cyclone-class patrol coastal ship, commissioned in 1993 (Port Authority)
- USCGC Katmai Bay: A 140-foot Bay-class icebreaking tug used for Homeland Security patrols and law enforcement (Port Authority)
- USS De Wert: A Navy Oliver Hazard Perry-class frigate named after Hospitalman Richard De Wert, posthumously awarded the Medal of Honor for his heroism while serving with the 7 th Marines during the Korean War. It was reported last year that the USS De Wert – during anti-piracy operations in the Indian Ocean – helped rescue the Italian vessel Montecristo from Somali pirates (Nicholson Terminal, with required shuttles from the Port Authority).
A fifth ship, the HMCS Ville de Quebec , will dock in Windsor, Ontario, Canada. It is a Halifax-class frigate serving in the Canadian armed forces.Ongoing events GM Showroom on the ground floor of the RenCen will feature a collection of vintage Corvettes honoring the iconic sports car's 60 th birthday. Other RenCen activities include:
- GM Wintergarden military technology display – including two flight simulators – designed to encourage students' involvement in science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) subjects
- Reproduction gun deck from a 1800s Coast Guard cutter, including a 200-pound replica cannon, surgical equipment, cooking supplies and navigation equipment. Coast Guard volunteers in period-style dress will answer visitors' questions.
- SeaPerch, an underwater robotics program that equips teachers and students with the resources they need to build an underwater Remotely Operated Vehicle (ROV) and enter it into competitive SeaPerch Challenges
- Test-drives of 2013 model year cars, trucks and crossovers from Chevrolet, Buick, GMC and Cadillac
- Coast Guard demonstrations that include precision rifle drills and search-and-rescue operations ( Friday, Sept. 7 and Saturday, Sept. 8)
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV