ST. PETERSBURG, Fla., Aug. 27, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Tropical Storm Isaac brought gusting wind and heavy rain to the Gulf Coast of Florida, but didn't cause widespread power outages to Progress Energy Florida customers.
As of 11 a.m. Monday, fewer than 1,000 customers in Progress Energy's 35-county service territory were without power. More than 15,000 customers have been restored following repeated waves of heavy rain and high winds in the region. Tropical Storm Isaac's track to the northwest and further into the Gulf of Mexico has helped to mitigate damage in Progress Energy Florida's territory.
"Forecasts show the outer bands of Tropical Storm Isaac will continue to bring rain and wind to the Tampa Bay area today and up through the Panhandle into Wednesday," said Jason Cutliffe, storm director for Progress Energy Florida. "While heavy rainfall and storm surge can cause flooding in low-lying areas, the brunt of the impact will not be seen in Florida. We are releasing hundreds of line workers and tree contractors who came to Florida over the weekend to help ensure adequate resources where it appears Isaac will make landfall."
About 250 off-system crews secured through the Southeastern Electric Exchange (SEE) will remain in Franklin and Pinellas counties to handle any remaining bands of unstable weather as well as any needs related to the Republican National Convention under way in the Tampa Bay area. Progress Energy Florida is a member of the SEE, a network of utilities that assist each other during storms or other emergencies.The utility's storm planning and deployment was also enhanced by Progress Energy's recent merger with Duke Energy. The combined company's size and strength increases Progress Energy Florida's ability to plan for and respond to storms quickly and efficiently.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV