Acacia Research (ACTG), through its operating subsidiaries, acquires, develops, licenses and enforces patented technologies. This stock is trading up 5.6% at $26.51 in recent trading.
Today's Volume: 530,000Average Volume: 657,239 Volume % Change: 50% Shares of ACTG are moving higher today after the company said it has entered into a settlement agreement with Fujitsu Semiconductor. This agreement resolves patent litigation that was pending in the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Texas and patent litigation that was pending in the United States District Court for the Northern District of California. From a technical perspective, ACTG is gapping up sharply here with decent volume right off some near-term support at $24.15. This move is quickly pushing ACTG within range of triggering a major breakout trade. That trade will hit once ACTG takes out some near-term overhead resistance at $27.19 with high volume. At last check, ACTG has hit an intraday high of $27.24 but it has subsequently pulled back to its current price of $26.50. Traders should now look for long-biased trades once ACTG sustains a move or close above $27.19 with volume that's near or above 657,239 shares. If that breakout triggers soon, then look for ACTG to possibly make a run at its 50-day moving average of $32.05 or higher. On the flip side, I would avoid ACTG or look for short-biased trades if it fails to trigger that breakout, and then moves back below some major near-term support at $24.15 to $23.24 with heavy volume.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV