Designers of power supply applications for portable devices require a USB charger with lower standby power consumption and higher system efficiency in a small form factor. Fairchild Semiconductor’s (NYSE: FCS) FAN104W high-frequency primary-side regulation (PSR) PWM controller helps designers meet these challenges.
Incorporating Fairchild’s green-mode function that provides off-time modulation to linearly decrease PWM frequency under light-load conditions, the FAN104W exceeds the USB charger standard with a low standby power of < 30mW and an improved dynamic response of > 4.1V. The FAN104W operates at 85kHz frequency to downsize passive components, assisting in the growing challenge of small form factor requirements. The device can also operate in boundary mode, improving efficiency in full load by 2-3 percent while reducing thermal issues.
Leveraging Fairchild’s expertise in primary-side regulation, the FAN104W does not require a secondary-side feedback loop and efficiently converts and manages the power supply of the charging device. Additionally, the device minimizes component count and overall bill-of-material costs with a highly integrated 500V JFET that reduces start-up losses by shutting off the current path after the device has been turned on. It is these optimized features plus rich, integrated protection features such as VSOVP and Vs/Cs, open/short protection that makes the FAN104W a well balanced solution for USB chargers.
For more information or to order samples, visit: http://www.fairchildsemi.com/pf/FA/FAN104W.htmlKey Features:
- Constant-voltage (CV) (+/- 5%) with cable compensation
- Constant-current (CC) control (+/-7%) using Fairchild’s TRUECURRENT® technology
- Boundary conduction mode (BCM) operation for higher efficiency
- Wide Vcc range ( 5V-23V ) for wider CC range design
- Standby power consumption : < 30mW at 7.5W and <50mW at 10W
- High-voltage startup
- SOP-8 package available
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV