First up is online auction house eBay (symbol). eBay's namesake auction platform owns around 15% of all the world's e-commerce volume, an impressive feat considering the more hands-on nature of buying or selling on eBay versus a more traditional online retailer. There's considerable value in the ability to pair buyers and sellers -- and eBay has built itself a seemingly impenetrable moat for providing that service.
But auctions aren't eBay's biggest focus anymore. That's because the firm makes up nearly half of its sales through its online payment arm, PayPal. At first, PayPal was little more than a way for eBay to keep auction payments in-house. Today, though, the firm is working hard to make PayPal a relevant offline payment method that's used at brick-and-mortar retailers too. Already, the firm has made some major inroads, with a new deal with Discover Financial Services (DFS) that will dramatically increase the usability of PayPal's digital wallet product.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV