NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Buying a stock on sale might be wise money management, but it doesn't mean that you have to wait for a sale to get a great price on an investment. As I have discussed before, investors can make money by predicting a stock will move still higher.
Previous price information can help you predict where a stock price may go in the future. And buying a stock above the moving averages can mean you are "going with the flow." Everyone who has studied how to invest knows that the "trend is your friend," unless it's about to end.
I have previously reviewed stocks that are breaking above or near their 52-week highs to find the ones I believe have the strongest investor risk-to-reward ratio.
Again, my filtering process includes:
- A minimum trading threshold -- This eliminates the thin stocks that keep so many up at night.
- Improving year-over-year results relative to the stock price increase -- We want plenty of reasons why the stock should continue to move higher.
- Analyst price targets that are higher than the current price -- We want others to believe the stock will continue to appreciate and to maintain the buying pressure.
- Limited insider selling -- Generally we want to see no insider selling. But because of compensation methods and diversification goals, some insider selling is acceptable. Management should have skin in the game.
- Low short interest -- I consider short sellers to be the smart money. There is no reason to bet against them when we have plenty of stocks to pick from.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV