Let's now look at second quarter sales by region. In the Americas, total sales declined 1% in the quarter. An increase in the average price per unit sold was offset by a decline in unit volume. On a constant-exchange-rate basis, total sales were equal to the prior year, and comp store sales were down 5% on top of a 23% comp increase last year. Of that 5% comp decline in the quarter, brand store comps were down 4% on top of a 19% increase last year, with most regions performing in a relatively narrow band except for solid growth in Florida, Texas and our Pacific market of Hawaii and Guam. Sales in the New York flagship store declined 9% on top of a staggering 41% increase last year. Data published by MasterCard Spendingpulse continues to indicate weak customer spending for the entire U.S. jewelry industry and most pronounced among the high-tier jewelers.
From a customer mix perspective, the sales decline in the U.S. in the quarter was entirely due to lower spending by local customers. While overall sales to foreign tourists were roughly unchanged from the prior year, higher sales to Japanese and Chinese visitors were offset by a decline in spending by European tourists in the U.S., which obviously affected the New York flagship store as well. Also in the Americas region, total sales rose in Canada, although comps declined, while we had strong growth in local currency comps in Latin America.
Beyond stores, combined e-commerce and catalog sales in the Americas rose 3% in the quarter due to an increase in the average sales per order. That was on top of a 16% increase last year. I'm pleased to add that based on successful results measured both quantitatively and creatively from a test mailing of a new catalog format we did earlier this year, our catalogs will soon have a fresh new look starting with the upcoming holiday season.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV