A jury late Friday in San Jose, Calif., awarded Apple $1.05 billion in the closely watched patent case, ruling that the Korean phone giant had "willfully" infringed a number of "valid" Apple iPhone patents.
The landmark case could have major implications on the technology landscape, bolstering Apple's confidence in the ongoing tech patent wars.
Samsung, however, looks likely to appeal the ruling.Apple shares, which hit a new all-time high last week, rose 2.83% to $682.02 on Monday. The Cupertino, Calif.-based firm was also one of the most active premarket Nasdaq stocks on share volume of 476,723. The verdict sent premarket ripples through Silicon Valley. Google (GOOG), which makes the Android operating system used on many of Samsung's phones, was down 1.85% to $666.10 before market open. BlackBerry maker Research In Motion (RIMM), a rival of both Apple's iOS and Android, climbed 6.34% to $7.38. The Canadian handset maker was also the most active premarket Nasdaq stocks on share volume of 499,963. Microsoft (MSFT), which touts its Windows Phone operating system, was up 1.21% to $30.93. Away from all the Apple/Samsung brouhaha, virtualization specialist VMware (VMW) is holding its annual VMworld conference in San Francisco this week. The software maker's shares crept up 0.86% to $93 early on Monday. --Written by James Rogers in New York. Follow @jamesjrogers >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Check out our new tech blog, Tech Trends. Follow TheStreet Tech on your wireless devices
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV