Astronaut Neil Armstrong Dies at 82
NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Astronaut Neil Armstrong, the first person to walk on the moon, died Saturday at age 82, according to his family.
His family announced his death at 2:45 p.m. EDT, according to NBC News, which was first to report the news.
In a statement, the family said Armstrong died following "complications resulting from cardiovascular procedures." He had undergone heart surgery weeks ago, NBC News said.
Armstrong is well known for the words he said after stepping onto the surface of the moon on July 20, 1969: "That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind."> > Bull or Bear? Vote in Our Poll In the statement, the astronaut's family wrote: "Neil Armstrong was also a reluctant American hero who always believed he was just doing his job. He served his Nation proudly, as a navy fighter pilot, test pilot, and astronaut. He also found success back home in his native Ohio in business and academia, and became a community leader in Cincinnati." Although Armstrong became a worldwide hero, he was known as a humble man who avoided the public spotlight. In addition to commanding the Apollo 11 mission, Armstrong commanded the Gemini 8 mission, which saw the first manned docking of two spacecraft.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV