News Summary: Commodities Market Can't Decide
The Associated Press
MIXED METALS: Gold was flat and silver rose slightly, but industrial metals like copper, palladium and platinum all fell. The government issued a disappointing report about orders for long-lasting factory goods, and the price of industrial metals depends on demand from manufacturing and other industry.
TEMPORARY RELIEF FOR CROPS: Prices for wheat and corn fell slightly, but investors still fear that higher crop prices will soon start affecting prices at the grocery store. Prices for wheat, corn and soybeans have been rising all summer because of a Midwest drought.
OIL WAVERS: Oil rose early in the day as Tropical Storm Isaac lurked in the Gulf of Mexico. But it fell after a trade journal reported that Western countries might release oil reserves.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV