Hyundai's US Growing Pains
By Phil LeBeau, CNBC Correspondent
NEW YORK (CNBC) -- After a decade of major gains in the U.S., Hyundai finds itself with a good problem. Its U.S. plants are close to hitting full capacity, so the Korean automaker can do little to meet strong demand for the Sonata, Elantra, or Santa Fe.
To say Hyundai is leaving sales on the table would be an understatement. While sales are up 9.5% this year, that trails the industry as a whole which is up 14%. This is one reason why Hyundai's market share in the U.S. has dropped two tenths of a percent to 5%.
It also doesn't help that Toyota (TM) is enjoying a resurgence in sales.
More from CNBC
New Fiat 500 Unveiled in Hot California Market
BMWs 'DriveNow' Program Launches in San Francisco
Will 'Talking' Cars Lead to Fewer Collisions?
- Hyundai: 21 Day Supply
- Subaru: 32 Day Supply
- Honda: 45 Day Supply
- Toyota: 48 Day Supply
- Industry Avg.: 55 Day Supply
- Nissan: 56 Day Supply
- Ford: 56 Day Supply
- VW: 72 Day Supply
- Chevrolet:75 Day Supply
--Written by Phil LeBeau at CNBC
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV