NEWPORT NEWS, Va., Aug. 24, 2012 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Huntington Ingalls Industries (NYSE:HII) announced today that its Newport News Shipbuilding (NNS) division opened a new, 65,000-square-foot facility, called the Supplemental Module Outfitting Facility (SMOF), to facilitate the Virginia Class Submarine (VCS) Program's two-submarines-per-year build plan.
A photo accompanying this release is available at http://media.globenewswire.com/hii/mediagallery.html?pkgid=14300
A video accompanying this release is available at http://www.globenewswire.com/newsarchive/hii/pages/news_releases.html?d=10003039"In 2011, Congressional approval to move forward with the two-submarines-per-year build plan was achieved," said Chris Miner, NNS' VCS Program director. "This facility is a reflection that we've arrived, and we look forward to working with our partner, General Dynamics Electric Boat, to improve upon and increase the pace by which we equip our Navy with Virginia-class submarines." The SMOF, which cost about $100 million, will be used to supplement the current Module Outfitting Facility (MOF) in building large modules for Virginia-class submarines. It includes four main bays for construction, as well as 17 specialized work spaces, offices and areas for lunch breaks. Partitioned rooms will supply space for machine tooling and other services within the same building, and flex rooms will offer quiet spaces for crew meetings, safety talks and conferences. Supervisors will also have access to portable offices on the shop floor, providing direct communication to employees. "Employees are excited for the improved quality of life and easy access to services and materials," explained test electrician Dale Zink, who will move from the MOF to the SMOF. "Productivity is going to go up because there will be access for better communication from supervisor to employee because of the new layout."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV