10 Ways to Save on In-Store Back-to-School Shopping
"If you're unwaveringly loyal to your favorite store, you don't have to forsake them for a better deal. Instead, see if they have a price matching policy. Some stores will provide you with a retroactive credit when you show them a competitor's ad listing a lower price on the identical item," says consumer savings expert
5. Be the second to 'open the box'
The major electronic stores usually have a section of the store devoted to "open-boxed" items -- which simply mean that someone returned the item, the box is opened and the store can't sell it as a new item anymore.
"These products have the same warranty as the new product -- perhaps another customer bought the item, but didn't like it. On average, you'll save 20%, though I've seen these items discounted as much as 40%," says Pavini.
6. Take a tax holiday
Take a look at your receipt the next time you make a purchase and unless you live in a state with no sales tax, you'll notice how substantially sales tax adds to the amount you spend.
7. Get gift cards at a discount
You can purchase gift cards to major retailers...at a discount. Visit sites like GiftCardGranny.com to buy discounted gift cards for many retailers. Examples include a 13%-off Macy's gift card and a 3%-off Target card. 8. Pack the brown paper bag with your own sandwich
There is a way to save money on school lunches -- it just requires a bit of planning and a little extra work. Pavini suggests setting a weekly lunch menu based on sale items at the grocery store. Then, find coupons.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV