10 Ways to Save on In-Store Back-to-School Shopping
"If you're unwaveringly loyal to your favorite store, you don't have to forsake them for a better deal. Instead, see if they have a price matching policy. Some stores will provide you with a retroactive credit when you show them a competitor's ad listing a lower price on the identical item," says consumer savings expert Andrea Woroch.
5. Be the second to 'open the box'
The major electronic stores usually have a section of the store devoted to "open-boxed" items -- which simply mean that someone returned the item, the box is opened and the store can't sell it as a new item anymore.
"These products have the same warranty as the new product -- perhaps another customer bought the item, but didn't like it. On average, you'll save 20%, though I've seen these items discounted as much as 40%," says Pavini.
6. Take a tax holiday
Take a look at your receipt the next time you make a purchase and unless you live in a state with no sales tax, you'll notice how substantially sales tax adds to the amount you spend.
7. Get gift cards at a discount
You can purchase gift cards to major retailers...at a discount. Visit sites like GiftCardGranny.com to buy discounted gift cards for many retailers. Examples include a 13%-off Macy's gift card and a 3%-off Target card. 8. Pack the brown paper bag with your own sandwich
There is a way to save money on school lunches -- it just requires a bit of planning and a little extra work. Pavini suggests setting a weekly lunch menu based on sale items at the grocery store. Then, find coupons.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV