Apple exited its recent fiscal third quarter with cash totaling $117.2 billion. Revenue totaled $35 billion and net profit was a staggering $8.8 billion.
Cook has also proved a more visible public presence than his predecessor, and has moved toward building a more transparent company. Amid mounting criticism of its Chinese manufacturing partners, for example, Apple announced voluntary audits of its final assembly suppliers, most notably Foxconn factories in Shenzhen and Chengdu.
As for longer-term innovation, Cook may not have Steve Jobs to call on, but he does have a deep bench packed with talent such as British design guru Jonathan "Jony" Ive.
"The company is so large that no one individual today drives all the elements of the business from a talent standpoint or from a strategic standpoint," said Walker, now CEO of The Human Revolution Studios, a talent consulting firm. "There are a lot of talent builders within the company."And that may prove to be Cook's ace in the hole. While Jobs ruled with an autocratic style -- heading up design, engineering and marketing -- Cook knows it takes more than one person for Apple to innovate, and execute, without making one single mistake. --Written by James Rogers in New York. Follow @jamesjrogers >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com. Check out our new tech blog, Tech Trends. Follow TheStreet Tech on your wireless devices
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV