J.D. Power said vehicle inventory in early August declined slightly to a 54-day supply, compared with 58 days in July. Car inventory was at 47 days, while truck inventory is at a normal 61-day supply.
Drury said an exception is the Chevrolet Malibu, which has a 96-day supply. " GM (GM) overproduced the 2012s and didn't sell down effectively," he said. "Now there are so many discounts" that sales of the 2013 Malibu are being impacted.
By contrast, the competing Ford (F) Fusion has a 43-day supply, as the 2012 model sells down in anticipation of the fall arrival of the 2013 model.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV