Platts Releases Its 2012 China Steel & Iron Ore Reserves Map
NEW YORK, Aug. 24, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Platts, a leading global energy, petrochemicals and metals information provider, has released the 2012 edition of its Platts SBB China Top 100 Steel Making Companies & Iron Ore Reserves Map, which offers a detailed snapshot of China's steel industry as of the end of 2011 and an update of the top 100 companies.
In light of significant structural changes within China's steel industry in 2011, the map's seventh edition details the ownership and products produced by the 198 steel mills which are owned by the top 100 steel-making companies – 14 more steel mills than are in last year's map.
For convenient reference, colors differentiate the two main production methods. Blast furnace-basic oxygen furnace (BF-BOF) uses iron ore as its base raw material, and electric arc furnace (EAF) uses scrap as its base. Color coding offers viewers an at-a-glance view of the geographical distribution of EAF steel makers and clearly reveals the extent to which these producers are located in Jiangsu province in the Yangtze River Delta region. Located in Eastern China, this region accounts for 20% of China's gross domestic product (GDP) as well as one-third of its imports and exports.
The map is inclusive of charts which illustrate the 10 fastest growing and largest provinces by GDP in 2011 and monthly prices of reinforcing bar (rebar) and hot-rolled coil between March 2011 and March 2012. The map also indicates China's iron ore reserves by size.The 2012 edition also features 28 new steel mills mostly located in China's inland provinces and provides details on 10 steel mills having annual production of less than one million metric tons (mt). Other industry-critical information within the map includes:
- The top 10 crude steel producers' share of output in 2011
- The top 100 companies' crude steel production by ownership in 2011
- China's finished steel imports and exports by region in 2011
- China's crude steel production and apparent consumption* from 2004 through 2011
- China's crude steel and pig iron production from 2002 through 2011
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV