LONDON and SOUTH SAN FRANCISCO, Calif., Aug. 24, 2012 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- GlaxoSmithKline plc (GSK) and Theravance, Inc. (Nasdaq:THRX) today announced the completion of the phase III programme of an investigational LAMA/LABA involving approximately 6,000 patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD).
LAMA/LABA is a combination of two investigational bronchodilator molecules - GSK573719 or umeclidinium bromide (UMEC), a long-acting muscarinic antagonist (LAMA) and vilanterol (VI), a long-acting beta 2 agonist (LABA), administered using the ELLIPTA™ inhaler. UMEC/VI is a once-daily investigational medicine currently under development for the maintenance treatment of COPD.
On 2 July 2012, GSK and Theravance announced the completion of four pivotal studies for UMEC/VI. The pivotal programme for UMEC/VI also includes a 52-week safety study, which is now complete. Two non-pivotal 12-week crossover exercise studies will also be included in the registrational package as they are now also complete. These recently completed studies support GSK's plans to commence global regulatory submissions for UMEC/VI from the end of 2012.The full results of all these studies, together with additional data from phase IIb dose-ranging studies of UMEC, will be presented at future scientific meetings. About the LAMA/LABA Studies The 52-week parallel group safety study evaluated the long-term safety and tolerability of UMEC 125mcg alone and the combination UMEC/VI 125/25mcg compared to placebo in approximately 500 patients. The two replicate 12‑week crossover exercise studies of approximately 300 patients each, evaluated the lung function and exercise endurance time of UMEC/VI 125/25mcg and 62.5/25mcg, UMEC 125mcg and 62.5mcg, and VI 25mcg compared to placebo. The co-primary endpoints of these studies were 3‑hour post-dose exercise endurance time and trough FEV1.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV