The largest holding in ENZL, at 17%, is Telecom Corp of New Zealand (NZTCY). NZTCY has a long track record of generous dividends but it fared poorly during the bear market of 2008.
Since then, however, some then-unknown issues involving competition have been resolved and the company spun off its infrastructure division into its own publicly traded company, Chorus Ltd, which has a 4.3% weight in the fund.
Fletcher Building has a 15% weighting in the fund. The company is probably a less familiar name but it makes the kind of construction materials that will be needed to rebuild Christchurch from its earthquake of 18 months ago.
As mentioned above, New Zealand equities are generally high-yielding, and this is reflected in ENZL's payout of 6.67% on a trailing basis. This does not ensure that the yield in the future will be that high but does offer a reasonable basis for expecting a yield that exceeds most broad domestic ETFs.At the time of publication the author had no position in the stocks mentioned. This article was written by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV