Fairholme Capital portfolio manager Bruce Berkowitz, who counts Bank of America as his second largest holding, recently compared Bank of America to Wells Fargo (BAC) in a note to investors.
"We believe that America's bank is returning to its retail roots (think of Wells Fargo) with a $1 trillion deposit franchise and that bank profits will skyrocket as legacy real estate loans burn-off," Berkowitz wrote.
Rochdale Securities analyst Richard Bove, on the other hand, says Bank of America management has given him the impression they see technology and capital markets as the future of the franchise with retail taking a back seat."The future of the company in my view is not retail banking, nor is it lending money to large corporations," Bove said in an interview Thursday. In the same interview, Bove criticized recent Board nominees who he believes lack experience in those areas. "They're closing branches left and right; they're shutting down ATMs; they're dropping market share. If in fact they're going back to their retail roots, they've got a funny way of showing it," he said.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV