"What's happening is there was the iPod touch and it was an MP3 player. All of a sudden, the iPod touch became a game station and failures went through the roof as parents gave them to their kids," Abernethy said.
But the best data may be from Asurion, which estimates one in four people will lose or damage their phone this year. Asurion is the default insurer for Verizon (VZ), AT&T (T), Sprint (S) and Deutsche Telekom's (DT) T-Mobile. It insures more than 95 million consumers.
Perhaps because its policies cover loss and theft (unlike some competitors) and fees are built into the monthly phone bill, Asurion gets some good data from "more than 95 million consumers," said Bettie Colombo, Asurion's senior director of marketing communications.
Of consumers who opt for Asurion's coverage and end up making a claim, 50% are due to loss or theft, 47% to accidental damage and 3% to device malfunction. This differs from what other reports and insurers say, but keep in mind the numbers only take into account consumers who buy insurance and make a claim.If you want to avoid an early smartphone demise, get a good case, buy insurance if you feel it necessary, and keep these stats in mind:
This article was written by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV