Shoe Carnival, Inc. (Nasdaq: SCVL), a leading retailer of value-priced footwear and accessories, today reported results for the second quarter ended July 28, 2012.
Second Quarter Highlights
- Net sales of $182.2 million, a 9.3 percent increase compared to the second quarter last year
- Growth in comparable store sales of 3.0 percent
- Earnings per diluted share of $0.14, flat with the prior year comparative period
- Company opened 11 new stores, including its first two stores in Puerto Rico. Pre-opening expenses were $1.2 million, a $795,000 increase when compared to the second quarter last year. This increase in expense equates to approximately $0.025 in diluted earnings per share.
Mark Lemond, President and CEO, commented, “We are in the midst of a strong athletic footwear cycle and customers continue to respond well to our athletic product assortment, generating sales at the high end of our guidance. Our sales increase combined with a consistent emphasis on controlling inventory helped us generate a higher than anticipated merchandise margin for the quarter. This resulted in our second quarter earnings exceeding the high end of our guidance.”
Financial Results and Payment of Quarterly DividendThe Company reported net sales of $182.2 million for the second quarter of fiscal 2012, a 9.3 percent increase over net sales of $166.7 million in the second quarter of fiscal 2011. Comparable store sales increased 3.0 percent in the second quarter of fiscal 2012. Net earnings for the second quarter of fiscal 2012 increased 5.3 percent to $2.9 million over net earnings of $2.7 million in the second quarter of fiscal 2011. Due to a slight increase in diluted shares outstanding in fiscal 2012, earnings per diluted share were $0.14 in both quarters. The gross profit margin for the second quarter of fiscal 2012 increased to 28.7 percent compared to 27.8 percent for the second quarter of fiscal 2011. The merchandise margin increased 0.7 percent, while buying, distribution and occupancy costs decreased 0.2 percent as a percentage of sales. Selling, general and administrative expenses for the second quarter increased $5.4 million to $47.6 million; as a percentage of sales these expenses increased to 26.1 percent compared to 25.3 percent in the second quarter of 2011. The increase in expense was primarily due to operating more stores, higher pre-opening expenses for new stores and increased incentive compensation. Total pre-opening expenses included in both cost of sales and selling, general and administrative expenses increased $795,000 in the second quarter to $1.2 million. These expenses increased primarily as a result of opening 11 new stores as compared to opening five stores in the second quarter last year.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV