CANBERRA, Australia (AP) â¿¿ Australia's resources minister says the mineral price boom that has saved the country from recession has ended.
Martin Ferguson spoke Thursday after the world's biggest miner, BHP Billiton Ltd., announced it was delaying a massive $30 billion expansion of its Olympic Dam uranium and copper mine in southern Australia.
Ferguson told reporters: "The boom in commodity prices is over. No one can deny it."
Chinese demand for Australian iron ore, natural gas and coal has recently delivered Australia its best monthly trade surpluses in more than a century while keeping the country free of recession for 21 years. But prices have slumped due to the European debt crisis.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV