According to media reports, South African President Jacob Zuma met with the miners on Wednesday, and the leader told the workers that he had initiated an inquiry to investigate the shooting.
Lonmin management also reportedly met with representatives of the miners and said that they would "conceive" about their grievances and demands and get back to the representatives, according to Independent Online of South Africa.
Randgold announced Thursday its support of a new interim government in Mali, which for the time being would suggest stabilization in the country, where Randgold operates two gold minds as well as the Morila joint venture.Among other mining stocks, AngloGold Ashanti (AU) was dipping 2.6%, while Gold Fields (GFI) was down 3.7%. Yamana Gold (AUY) announced Wednesday morning the completion of its acquisition of Extorre Gold Mines. The stock was up 1.5%. -- Written by Joe Deaux in New York. >Contact by Email. Follow @JoeDeaux
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV